Are you highly motivated, well-organised, and reliable? Do you have experience with social media and email marketing? Do you have an interest in local and global current affairs? Would you work well in a fast-paced team dedicated to building dialogue in a divided society?
The Aspen Institute in the UK runs an internship programme, offering three internships a year. This is a positive opportunity for someone who wishes to have a significant impact. You will join a young and ambitious organisation based in Central London, where you can gain and develop experience across a wide range of skills, including marketing, communications, proposal writing, research, supporting event planning and logistics.
We are not currently recruiting for our internship programme. We will open for applications for our fall internship in July.
25 hours a week, flexible working. Virtual or in-person.
Each intern will be highly organised, efficient, and proactive, and will work with our small and busy team. The ideal candidate will have the ability to work across several projects simultaneously; a demonstrated understanding of current and international events; and excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Support the logistical arrangements of all events, including identifying and briefing speakers and moderators as well as audience management.
- Assist with the marketing and communications of all events, including on the Aspen UK website and newsletters, and on Aspen UK’s social channels.
- Support the development of a wide programme of events (on issues ranging from leadership and values, politics, technology, justice and civil society, sustainability), both internal and external.
The intern will take on some responsibility for drafting and planning Aspen UK’s communications and online engagement including:
- Promotion of events and the Aspen UK brand across social media
- Design and creation of graphics and other marketing assets for internal events and contributing ideas and strategies for upcoming campaigns
- Drafting Aspen UK’s newsletters
- Maintaining and updating mailing lists, and answering enquiries
Aspen UK runs a series of private leadership seminars, both online and in person. The intern will support all aspects of the planning and organisation, including:
- Preparing and sending seminar materials
- Organisation of venue, catering, travel
- Providing hosting and technical support during seminars
- Alumni communications and support
Aspen UK runs both online and hybrid panel events for a diverse audience on relevant current events. The intern will support all aspects of the planning and organisation, including:
- Speaker research
- Creation of event agendas, programmes, and briefing notes
- Speaker support
- Note taking and report writing
- Live tweeting and audience management during events
Successful candidates will enjoy taking initiative, recognise and then solve problems. We are looking for someone who wants to make a positive impact and who is deeply committed to personal development and knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong and demonstrable administrative and organisational skills with the ability to produce accurate work with attention to detail
- A proven interest in, and excellent knowledge of current issues facing UK’s society, ranging from politics, technology, international economics, justice and civil society or leadership & values
- A problem-solver with ability to show initiative, and to juggle many projects at a time and to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team and with individuals at all levels of seniority displaying tact, sensitivity and diplomacy and discretion in handling confidential information
- Computer proficient with Microsoft Office suite
- A good working knowledge of social media platforms
London Living Wage
- Possible development opportunities within a fast-growing organisation
- Networking with some of the UK’s top leaders, academic and policy experts
- The opportunity to attend all Aspen UK events, online and across the UK
Who can apply?
- Live in the UK
- Have an unrestricted and existing right to work in the UK to apply
- Aged 21 and over
- Ability to commit to a 16 week part-time or full-time internship
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Please note that we are not able to offer visa sponsorship for this role. You must have an unrestricted and existing right to work in the UK to apply.