Are you highly motivated, well-organised, and reliable? Do you have an interest in working for a newly established organisation, the Aspen Initiative UK, which encourages and educates leaders from a cross section of the UK society, and beyond, encouraging them to transform themselves and their society?
Would you want to get an insight into the work of a globally recognised body, the Aspen Institute, which works for values-based leadership and the exchange of ideas? The Aspen Initiative UK is linked to this august US-based body, and is in the early stages of development.
This is a positive opportunity for someone who wishes to have a significant impact. You will join a start-up organisation where you can gain and develop experience across a wide range of skills including building seminar programmes, managing high-level relationships, and event planning.
We are looking for a highly organised, efficient and proactive Programme Manager to join our small, busy team. The ideal candidate will have experience working across a number of projects simultaneously; a proven interest in current and international affairs; and can prove excellent communication and organisational skills.
In particular you will help organise a variety of private or discreet ‘conversations’ and seminars, which are conducted to expand debates beyond the usual realm of media and think-tanks. Some of these events will be private residential seminars, and others will be small public discussions with leading thinkers and authors on contemporary social issues. All events will use Aspen Institute’s established text-based approach.
For more information on the Aspen Initiative UK please visit the website – aspenuk.org
Aspen UK runs a series of seminars, and this role will support the Director in all aspects of event development and organisation, in particular:
- Participate in developing the programme of upcoming events, (on issues ranging from leadership & values, politics, technology, justice & civil society), in particular Aspen Conversations and Exchanges.
- Lead the logistical arrangements of all events with national and international speakers, moderators and participants
- Develop programme budgets as well as maintain monthly budget control and other finance related tasks
- Assist with the communication of all events, (social media, Aspen UK website, etc.)
- Help manage Aspen UK’s contacts database and assist with drafting and sending newsletters to highlight Aspen UK’s work
- Develop and maintain an alumni network of Aspen UK participants, with associated communication and event planning
- Assist with the organisation of briefings, seminars, roundtables and conferences
- Provide logistical support, such as booking flights and hotels
- Coordinate the logistics for high-level moderators, speakers, and participants of seminars, including flights and travel details, visas and accommodation
- Lead teams of interns and other support staff where necessary
- Assist in drafting and sending Aspen UK’s quarterly newsletter, by providing content
- Build and maintain mailing lists and event profiles.
You will provide general administrative support, including:
- Being responsible for all levels of admin, including note taking, maintenance of records, files and databases
- Act as the first point of contact for external enquiries, filter email enquiries, and other correspondence
- Prepare and disseminate materials for seminars and other events
We want someone to join our team who enjoys taking initiative, and who recognises and then solves problems. We are looking for someone who wants to make a positive impact and who is deeply committed to personal development and knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and communication skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong and demonstrable administrative and organisational skills with the ability to produce accurate work with attention to detail
- A problem-solver with ability to show initiative, and to juggle many projects at a time and to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team and with individuals at all levels of seniority displaying tact, sensitivity and diplomacy and discretion in handling confidential information
- Experience of managing databases
- Computer proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
Desirable (but not essential):
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in international relations, politics, history, or related field. Or other relevant experience
- A proven interest in, and excellent knowledge of current issues facing UK’s society, ranging from politics, technology, international economics, justice and civil society or leadership & values
- Experience in a think-tank, research institute, NGO, foundation, or academic institution
- Previous experience in event organisation would be an advantage
- A good working knowledge of social media platforms.
Possible development opportunities within a fast-growing organization, and the opportunity to attend Aspen UK events across the UK
Salary: Approx. £27k per annum
Contract: Fulltime (35 hours per week). Permanent
Start date: Beginning of 2020
How to apply:
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter, outlining how your skills and experiences are a suitable match for this position to [email protected].
The closing date for applications is 0900 on 9 December 2019.
We will aim to contact successful applicants during the week beginning 16 December. First interviews will take place in central London during that week, and Skype interviews can be arranged if you cannot attend in person. There will be a second round in early January 2020.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Please note that we are not able to offer visa sponsorship for this role. You must have an unrestricted and existing right to work in the UK to apply.